Cost & Financial Aids

Participants in a Study Abroad program could increase their eligibility for financial aid. This fact sheet contains answers to many of the basic questions students have about financial aid for Study Abroad. If you need more information, contact the Division of Financial Aid by calling (765) 494-5050 or come to our office located in room #305 of Schleman Hall. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

I have never applied for financial aid before. How do I apply if I want to study abroad?

Students who plan to study abroad should apply for financial aid in the same manner as students who will study on campus. Purdue University requests that students complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is available at the Division of Financial Aid in January of the year you plan to begin your studies. It is important for students who plan to study abroad to apply as soon as possible after January 1, but BEFORE the March 1 filing deadline. Make certain you complete the entire form. You will be considered for all types of federal, state, and university need-based assistance if you file on time. You may still apply for aid after the March 1 filing deadline, however, the types of aid you will be considered for will be significantly limited.

I have received financial aid from Purdue before. How do I apply for aid?

Students who have received financial aid during the previous academic year apply for financial aid differently than those who did not. In January of the year you plan to begin your studies, you should complete the Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid. This application will be sent to you by the federal aid processor and you could receive it as early as the Thanksgiving prior to January. Do not complete the renewal application before January 1. It will look similar to the Student Aid Report you received back from the processor the previous year. Students using this application will have fewer questions to answer and 75% of the questions on the application will have the answers pre- printed on it. The pre-printed information will be the same information as on the Student Aid Report from the previous year, therefore you will only need to write in new information if there have been changes since you last filed for aid.

Pay special attention to the Information Release section of the application. Purdue University should be the first school listed, and our federal school code number of 001825 should be placed in the address block of the section. Return the Renewal Application before the March 1 filing deadline in order to be considered for all types of federal, state, and institutional need-based assistance. If you do not receive the Renewal Application by February 1, you should complete the FAFSA but do not complete both .

How will the Division of Financial Aid know how much my costs will be?

The Study Abroad Office will notify the Division of Financial Aid of all the costs associated with your program. When we receive the information we will adjust your cost of attendance to reflect the estimated costs for your particular program. An award notice will then be sent to you with a special message indicating your program costs have been used to calculate your financial aid awards.

What if my award notice does not include my program costs?

In some cases you may receive an award notification from the Division of Financial Aid before we receive the information from Study Abroad. If this happens, call the Division of Financial Aid and speak with the Study Abroad program coordinator so your costs can be adjusted. We will then send you a revised financial aid eligibility notice.

Will I be able to receive the same financial aid I would be eligible for if I studied on campus?

It depends on which program you will be participating in. In a number of programs, the fees you pay do not remain at Purdue University. Instead, they are forwarded to another institution. Therefore, in these programs the types of aid you would be eligible for could be limited. Programs included in this category are listed at the end of this fact-sheet under OUTSIDE BILLINGS. It is possible for programs to be added to this category, so if you have any questions regarding how your program is classified, contact the Study Abroad Office. In general, and with the exception of work-study eligibility, you would be eligible for the same aid as a student who studies on campus.

In the past I have not been eligible to receive need-based financial aid. Since it could cost me more to study abroad will I be eligible now that my expenses may be more?

Need for financial assistance is determined by the difference between what the student and family should be able to contribute toward the educational expenses and the student's estimated cost of attendance. Some students who would not be eligible for need-based assistance become eligible because of the increased costs for Study Abroad. Additionally, all students who have applied for aid at Purdue can be considered for an unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Eligibility cannot be determined and awards cannot be made until you file for federal aid by using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or the Renewal Application whichever applies to you.

If I don 't want to be con sidered for need-based assistance, where can I go to get money to help pay for my expenses?

There are options available for those who do not want to apply for need-based assistance, or for those individuals who do not want to borrow under any of the Federal Loan programs. Academic awards are offered by the Study Abroad Office. You should contact them to see if you meet the criteria for any of their funds. Additionally, other academic scholarships are offered through the individual schools on the Purdue Campus. You can also search for scholarships on the internet at . This scholarship search is free.

If I study abroad, can I receive a scholarship awarded to me by a donor from outside the university?

In most cases, yes. However, if your donor specifically requests that your scholarship be applied to your tuition/fees payable to Purdue University and you are participating in a program where the fees do not remain at Purdue (those listed under OUTSIDE BILLINGS), you may not be eligible to receive the full amount of the award. You might want to contact your scholarship donor prior to the check being issued to Purdue in order to determine if there are any specific requirements on how the aid must be applied.

If I decide to participate in a second Study Abroad program, can I still receive financial aid?

Yes. Study Abroad participants who have applied for aid and are eligible for aid may receive financial aid regardless of the number of programs they have participated in previously.

Can I use my Child of Disabled Veteran award to pay my study abroad program fees?

If you are participating in a program listed under the OUTSIDE BILLINGS at the end of this fact-sheet, your award can only be used to cover the administrative fee charged by Purdue University. It will not cover all your fees since these program fees are not paid to an Indiana school. You are limited to receiving a total of 124 credit hours of Child of Disabled Veteran Fee Remission benefits regardless of whether you are attending full or part-time. Therefore, you may wish to save your eligibility for the award for future undergraduate enrollment if your program fees are not payable to Purdue. If you prefer not to use your Child of Disabled Veteran award you must notify the Division of Financial Aid immediately. If you are participating in a program not listed under OUTSIDE BILLINGS your award should be able to be used to cover your regular Purdue fees. Since the Division of Financial Aid depends on notification from the Study Abroad Office of programs that do not pay their fees to Purdue, the possibility exists that a program could be added to the list of programs not paying fees to Purdue and as a result would not appear on the list under OUTSIDE BILLINGS.

If you have any questions regarding the classification of your program, contact the Study Abroad Office immediately.


In all cases, if you want to be considered for all types of assistance offered by the Division of Financial Aid, you MUST complete the application for federal aid before MARCH 1 of the year you begin your program. If you don't complete the form until late February, you should ask the post office to issue you a certificate of mailing in order to prove you mailed the application before the March 1 filing deadline. Keep the certificate in a safe place should you be required to produce it. You can still apply for aid after March 1, however, the aid you will be considered for will be limited.



BEGINNING DATE OF THEIR PROGRAM. In some cases it may be necessary for you to assign a power of attorney to someone in order for them to complete any loan paperwork or sign check disbursement forms. If your awards include a Federal Stafford or PLUS loan, you must have a completed loan request form on file in the Division of Financial Aid for us to process the loan. Call the Division of Financial Aid if you have any questions regarding the loan application process.

Your financial aid will be applied to your bill at the Bursar's Office. If the total amount of your financial aid is less than the amount due, you are responsible for paying the difference. If you have financial aid funds that exceed the cost of your fees payable to the Bursar, you should receive a check for the over-payment during the first week of the regular Purdue semester. Also, by providing the Bursar with the necessary paperwork your refund can be deposited directly into your bank account. If your fees are due to another institution prior to your having completed your aid application or your having been notified of your eligibility for aid, you should be prepared to pre-pay the bill and wait for the financial aid funds you were eligible for to be refunded to you. Keep in mind that the purchase of your airline ticket and some other costs may come due before you receive your aid. You should therefore, make arrangements to take care of these bills prior to the release of your aid. It is also important that you know that financial aid funds may not cover the full expenses you may incur.