Entry Requirement

Each institution will have its own set of admission requirements, but the minimum usually includes the following:
  • Completed application form

  • proof of secondary school completion (usually 12 years of schooling);

  • certification of English language proficiency (usually a score from the Test of English as a Foreign Language [TOEFL]);

  • evidence of financial support (required for the I-20 form -).

The TOEFL requirement is often lower for a community college than it is for a four-year institution. In addition, if your TOEFL score is a little below the entry requirement, the community college may still admit you into the English as a Second Language (ESL) program. Successful completion of all the prescribed ESL courses will open the door to the wider academic world of the community college. Many, but not all, colleges require international applicants to take an admissions test, usually the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT I) or the American College Testing (ACT) Assessment. Some may also require SAT II Subject Tests. Check ahead to determine specific test requirements. · The SAT tests are held several times per academic year, and registration materials are available from the test administrators or from U.S. educational information and advising centers. You can also register on the World Wide Web.
If English is not your native language
U.S. universities and colleges will ask you to take an English language proficiency test before admitting you to a degree program. Almost all institutions require that this test be the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A few may accept scores from other examinations or administer their own tests. For further information, check each college's catalogue or contact the admissions office to discuss your situation. As with many areas of U.S. education, each institution sets its own English language admission standard. Some institutions may grant conditional acceptance with the understanding that you must attend English language classes at their college prior to starting your degree program. Once you have reached the required English language level, you will be able to start your studies. Keep in mind, however, that in some cases it may be difficult for you to obtain a student visa in your country if you cannot prove sufficient command of the English language to begin study in the United States. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) TOEFL is currently given in most countries around the world on computer, and the paper-based version is being phased out.