Application Procedure

Those who wish to study in Canada and are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, then you must have a valid Study Permit. All international students attending secondary school in Canada must apply for a new study permit that allows them to study at a post-secondary institution.


Processing times vary depending on the Canadian visa office where you submitted your application.Offer of admission letter: This letter proves your acceptance to UBC's Okanagan campus and is signed by an officer of the University.


Following documents are required to apply:


Proof of funds:

Most Canadian immigration officers interpret "evidence of sufficient funds" to mean a bank statement, savings account passbook, bank draft, or other proof that indicates you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of one year in Canada, including tuition and living expenses.



You must have a valid passport and/or official government-issued identification. If your passport will be expiring during your first year of study, renew your passport before applying for a study permit. Immigration documents, such as your study permit, can generally only be issued for as long as your passport is valid, so renewing your passport in advance can save you extra processing costs and paperwork.


Medical examination:

Depending on your citizenship and where you are currently living, you may be required to undergo a medical exam. Refer to the CIC website to see if a medical exam is required of you. Start this process as soon as possible as it can take up to three months for medical exam results to be processed.


Temporary Resident Visa (TRV):

 Citizens of some countries will also require a Temporary Resident Visa (also commonly referred to as a visitor visa or an entry visa) in order to enter Canada. If it is required, apply for your TRV when you apply for your study permit. You should request a multiple-entry rather than single-entry TRV. A multiple-entry TRV allows you to leave Canada and return multiple times, whereas a single-entry TRV only allows you to enter Canada once. Family emergencies, academic conferences, and visits home are common reasons why students may need to re-enter Canada during their studies, sometimes on very short notice.

If you are visiting or stopping in another country on your way to Canada, you may require additional documents. Please check with a consular office of that country before you leave home to see what documents, visas, or immunizations you may need.