Study Permits

Before coming to South Africa

You are reminded to check the following before leaving home:
  • Ensure that you have a valid study permit for entry into South Africa.
  • Ensure that your accommodation in South Africa has been confirmed.

Study permits procedures

Study permits are granted for studies in a specific field of study which also serve as motivation for such a permit. These permits are renewed periodically according to the South African migration regulations. In terms of revised policy on the admission of international students, it is imperative that students await the outcome of their applications for a study permit in their country of origin or residence

Students must obtain a new study permit from the South African Department of Home Affairs when changing their course of study. Students deciding to leave South Africa while still registered with the Technikon Pretoria must obtain a re-entry visa prior to leaving South Africa.

You can apply for a study permit once you have received a Letter of Provisional Admission from Technikon Pretoria.

How to apply for a study permit

You have to apply for a study permit at the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission in your country of origin. If there is no South African representative in your country, your application should be directed to the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission nearest to your home country.

Step one: Collect the appropriate study permit application form from the South African Embassy, High Commission, Consulate or Trade Mission in your country.

Step two:

Complete and return the study permit application form to the office where you originally collected it together with the following:
  • A valid passport.
  • Letter if provisional Admission
  • Proof that you are financially in a position to pay tuition fees and have adequate means of support.
  • A medical certificate as provided on the study permit application form and details of or arrangements made with regard to medical or insurance cover. Medical insurance can also be gained upon arrival. Please contact
  • Repatriation guarantee : Technikon Pretoria will not take responsibility for any repatriation guarantees for students. The student will be required to lodge a cash deposit or bank guarantee equivalent to airfare or transportation costs to your country of origin for repatriation purposes or forfeiture to the South African Government should permit conditions not be complied with.
  • Study Permit fee as indicated by the South African Mission.
  • · You are also advised to submit an application for a multiple entry visa. You might be required to pay a fee for a re-entry visa. Citizens of certain countries do not have to pay for a re-entry visa. Enquiries in this regard should be made the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission.

You are advised to submit the above-mentioned documentation as soon as possible to the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission. Do not send these documents to the Technikon Pretoria.

Please ensure that copies are kept of all documentation submitted to the South African Mission or to Home Affairs for your reference and future use. Technikon Pretoria is not permitted to register you until you have produced your study permit . It normally takes six weeks for a study permit application to be processed. You may not enter South Africa on a visitor's visa and then apply for a student permit. On arrival your passport together with a valid study permit should be presented to the relevant Faculty Office.

Study permit renewals

It is important that you do not wait until your study permit is about to expire before you renew it. If you allow it to lapse by one day, it could mean that you have to put in a new application, which in turn could result in missing several weeks of study. Your study permit renewal application should include the following documents:

  • Letter of registration from your Faculty Office
  • A valid passport
  • An original copy of your Academic Record (examination results)
  • Letter from your sponsor
  • B1-159 study permit application form
  • Proof of repatriation guarantee
  • Study permit fee